Skip to main content

Members' Q&As

The page is designed for members to find answers to commonly asked questions. If you have a serious concern please call the NACO National Office on 0161 351 7900.

If you would like to submit a question please use the form on the right of this page. All information provided will be treated in strictest confidence and you will received a personal response from NACO. Any members' questions which are published on this page will be completely anonymised and no sensitive information will ever be published.

Click below and skip to a section...


Changing Details with NACO

Q: How do I update my address and contact details with NACO?

A: Simple. Just use the contact form here, or get in touch using the other details on the page. 


Disciplinary and Grievance

Q: I have a concern about my working life. What should I do now?

A: Please use the 'Ask Us a Question' form on the right of this page and we'll be in touch with you ASAP. If your question is urgent please call the National Office on 0161 351 7900.

Q: I have been requested to attend a disciplinary hearing and would like NACO representation. What do I do?

A: Please call the National Office ASAP on 0161 351 7900. The earlier you can discuss your circumstances with a NACO Official, the better.

Q: I have a grievance with my line manager and don't feel comfortable talking to another manager about it. I would like NACO representation. What do I do?

A: Please call the National Office ASAP on 0161 351 7900 to speak with a NACO full-time official.


Domestic Life

Q: I have a question that doesn't concern work but thought NACO could help. What should I do?

A: NACO provide free legal advice to all members. As a member you're eligible for some free time with our solicitors for domestic issues. If you think this could help please call the National Office and we'll put you in touch.


Maternity/ Paternity/ Flexible Working

Q: I am pregnant but haven't told my employer yet. What's my next step?

A: You must tell your employer, preferably in writing, by the end of the 15th week before your baby is due:

    * that you're pregnant
    * the date your baby is due
    * the date you want your maternity leave to start.

You can take upto 52 weeks maternity leave regardless of how long you've worked for your employer but there are qualifying periods for maternity pay. Maternity pay varies between employers but cannot be lower than Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP).

If you're ready to discuss this with your employer before the 15th week they'll be able to advise you on your co-operative's maternity pay, otherwise call the National Office on 0161 351 7900.

Q: My partner is pregnant and I need time away from the business. What are my options?

A: If you have been working for your current employer for more than 26 weeks by the 15th week of pregnancy (or by the end of the week you are notified you are matched with your child) you will qualify for Ordinary Paternity Leave more details

You may also want to take advantage of Additional Paternity Leave. Additional Paternity Leave is for a maximum of 26 weeks. If your partner has returned to work, the leave can be taken between 20 weeks and one year after your child is born or placed for adoption. You may be entitled to receive Additional Statutory Paternity Pay during your partner's Statutory Maternity Pay, Maternity Allowance or Adoption Pay period. maintain a really useful paternity leave calculator; it takes 2 minutes - click here

Q: I have childcare commitments and need to discuss flexible working with my employer. How do I go about it?

A: If you are the parent of a child under 17 (under 18 if your child is disabled) or caring for an adult, you have the right to ask your employer for flexible working. You must also have worked for your employer for at least 26 weeks.

Although you have the right to ask to work flexibly, your employer doesn't have to agree to it. However, they must give your request serious consideration and have a good business reason if they decide not to agree.

You should first approach your line manager and discuss your circumstances with them. If you feel you need assistance doing this just give NACO a call on 0161 351 7900.



Q: My job is part of a proposed restructure and may become redundant. When can I be sure?

A: You should have been invited to a one-to-one meeting with your employer. At this meeting they will discuss your role, whether it is being made redundant, and other details concerning your employment. If you are still not clear about your position, call NACO on 0161 351 7900.

Q: What are the enhanced redundancy terms for Project Unity related redundancies?

A: The enhanced redundancy terms, any other information regarding Project Unity, is available at If you want to discuss your personal situation and/or require representation please contact the NACO National Office.

Q: What redundancy payment will I receive?

A: Statutory Redundancy Pay is calculated on age, length of service and current weekly earnings. have an easy-to-use calculator here

NACO has negotiated better terms for most of it's members, check with your societies' HR department or 'ask us a question' at the top of this page.

Q: In a redundancy situation, What is Individual Consultation?

A: Individual consultation is the process of announcements and one-to-one meetings following which you will be informed about whether or not you are affected by the redundancies, if and how you have been selected, possible ways of avoiding redundancy and possible alternative employment.

Q: I have recently been made redundant and have an appeal meeting scheduled soon but i've lost all details of the NACO Official that has previously advised me. How can I get in contact with them?

A: Please call the National Office ASAP on 0161 351 7900. We retain details of all the cases we are involved in and will be able to find the Official that advised you previously. We'll then be able to represent you at the appeal hearing.

Q: I've recently resigned - am I eligible for a redundancy payment?

A: If you choose to leave before being given written notice of termination of employment you may not be entitled to redundancy payment. In some circumstances, NACO may be able to help - contact us


Health & Safety

Q: I believe elements of my workplace and the working practices expected of me are unsafe and could present a danger. I've discussed this with my line manager but nothing has changed, what should I do?

A: Your employer has a 'duty of care' to ensure, as far as possible, your safety at work. Your employer should also have appointed a competent person with health and safety responsibilities. In order to ensure the 'duty of care', a risk assessment of your workplace and expected working practices should be conducted to spot potential problems.

Businesses employing more than 5 people are also required to record the finds of any assessments conducted and maintain a formal health and safety policy.

If you still have concerns regarding health and safety, or you do not feel your employer is meeting the minimum requirements expected of them, contact NACO and an official with provide further advice and guidance.



Q: What is a defined contribution (DC) pension scheme? 

A: A defined contribution (DC) scheme enables employees to pay a percentage of pensionable earnings into a pension fund. The fund receives beneficial tax treatment and is placed into an individual account for each participant.

The money is invested on behalf of the employee. In DC schemes employers usually contribute as well as the employee. Employees bear the investment risk and can typically guide the selection of investments within set parameters.

The contributions, plus or minus any investment gains, are used to fund a portion of the individual’s retirement. The employee carries full liability for investment performance.

Q: What is a defined benefit (DB) pension scheme?

A: A defined benefit (DB) pension scheme commits to paying a specified amount to each employee on retirement, depending on the years of work and salary level.

The employer contributes a regular amount to the plan, normally a percentage of the employee's pay. Employee contributions can be mandatory or voluntary depending on the scheme. Your employer may invest the contents of the pension fund to ensure the fund is large enough to meet retirement payments as they carry full liability for investment performance.

Q: Should I have a DC or DB scheme?

A: This very much depends on your personal circumstances. It would be advisable to seek independent financial advice.